In this latest Brussels Briefing on Environment from viEUws.eu, Sonja van Renssen provides an overview of the latest developments in the field of European environment policy.
– Karmenu Vella’s, Commissioner-designate for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, has been given the green light by the European Parliament, but MEPs have requested Commission President Juncker to include sustainability in the portfolio of Vice-President Jyrki Katainen.
– European Parliament hearing of Miguel Arias Cañete, Commissioner-designate for Climate Action and Energy, on 1 October
– EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS): talks on a new market stability reserve for EU ETS are about to start
– United Nations Climate Summit on 23 September: no big news from New York
– MEPs and EU member states are restarting negotiations on plastic bags and CO2 from shipping.
– Issues to look ahead: air quality, biodiversity and oil sands
Brussels Briefing on Environment: All you need to know for October 2014 appeared first on viEUws.