Sonja van Renssen, leading environment journalist at viEUws.eu, takes a pick at the top 5 environment issues that will be discussed by the EU institutions under the Greek Presidency.
- The biggest issue on the agenda will be the climate and energy package to be unveiled by the European Commission on January 22nd.
- ETS and how to include emissions from international aviation will also be high on the agenda, with the European Parliament and the biggest Member States disagreeing on the way forward.
- Shale gas will be back on the agenda with a long-awaited proposal to be tabled by the European Commission also on January 22nd.
- In 2014, DG Environment’s priority will be waste and resource efficiency with a ‘circular economy’ package expected to be presented by environment Commissioner Potočnik in spring.
- The alternative fuel strategy with difficult trialogue negotiations between the Council, European Parliament and Commission lying ahead.