In this special briefing for viEUws.eu, Brussels-based journalist Sonja van Renssen identifies the top 5 environment issues that will be discussed by the European institutions under the Latvian EU Presidency.
- Latvia’s number one priority in the area of climate policy is finalising a market stability reserve for the EU Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS)
- The European Commission will launch a debate on decarbonising transport as it is the glaring gap in the 2030 climate and energy policy. Moreover, biofuels and ILUC will be climbing back up the agenda again.
- Important legislative item on the agenda is air quality. More specifically Latvia will seek to broker a deal to reduce pollution from medium-sized combustion plants.
- The European Commission’s Circular Economy Package is on hold – if MEPs and Member States sanction its withdrawal, what will replace it?
- Nanomaterials are coming onto the agenda, with the Commission set to propose how to account for them under REACH
Top 5 Environment – All you need to know for the Latvian EU Presidency appeared first on viEUws.